Sunday, October 24, 2010

Civ 5: Great Thebes (Part 3)

With the Egyptian Empire having grown much larger than I initially anticipated, I adopt the Order social policy, ideal for larger empires. I'm hoping to just consolidate what I've got and push on to a diplomatic victory as I continue my research down the tech tree towards Globalization. Thebes contines to build wonders, providing me with Great People to continue with Golden Ages almost uninterrupted.

Meanwhile Montezuma has been building settlements in former Japanese lands and has enraged the city states that he seems to be at permanent war with all 4 of them on the Aztec continent. It's not long before he's at war with me, and Catherine jumps at the opportunity to declare war on me as well. It's 1812 AD and most of my forces have already left the Aztec lands and have to quickly cross back over the channel to help the few defenders left behind.


Montezuma captures the city state of Hanoi and Catherine captures the city state of Kuala Lampur. Other city states look set to fall soon even as my Knights land near and liberate Belgrade from Montezuma. With it looking like I'll possibly be at war for the rest of the game, I settle Elephantine in the desert near multiple oil sources to ensure I can build the modern era units if I need them. Also, with plentiful extra resources, I bribe Caesar to join the war against Russia, to keep Catherine off my back and hopefully provide a distraction away from my city state allies.

Montezuma is sending wave after wave of attackers against Tokyo, but my experienced Knights continue to defend. As money comes in, I start upgrading the more experienced Knights to Cavalry. As the Aztec units dry up, mounted units disperse across the former Japanese lands to raze the new Aztec cities of Tula, Tzintzuntzen, Malinalco and Atzcapotzalco.

Cavalry leads the way into the heart of Aztec territory. Here I encounter a few, slightly more modern units, with a few Cannons and Musketmen providing a meagre defence against my Cavalry - Tlaxcala, Osaka and Tlatelolco are quickly captured; the first two are razed and Tlatelolco is kept as a puppet for its oil.

Meanwhile I start sending new Infantry units across to the Russian continent. The liberation of Kuala Lampur begins at the same time as the remnans of the Aztec civilization are mopped up, with the Aztec cities of Teotihuacan, Tenochtitlan (the Aztec capital), Texcoco, Xochicalco and Calixtlahuaca falling by 1860 AD.


I discover Globalization, begin building the United Nations and purchase an alliance with Budapest, ensuring all the city states are now my allies. Venice eventually falls to Russia, and Catherine and Caesar make peace. With forces arriving from the former Aztec lands, I make a mad scramble for Russian cities as Catherine desperately tries to bring her units back to defend. The Infantry and Cavalry capture St Petersburg and raze Orenburg and Vladivostok. With an ever-increasing number of Russian units nearby, I throw everything that I can at Moscow, and eventually capture the Russian capital. With my army now badly outnumbered and Moscow certain to be recaptured, I make a peace deal with Catherine in 1894 AD.

Finally there is peace again. A Great Engineer completes the Pentagon in Thebes but it's now a mere symbol of Egypt's historically successful military. This is Thebe's 13th and final wonder (to go with 2 national wonders).


In 1903 AD elections for a world leader are held and, with 14 city states as allies, I'm almost unanimously elected giving me a diplomatic victory.


So ... a first victory on King level with my Knights giving me a huge military advantage. I was honestly expecting to try and play a relatively peaceful game, only fighting wars when I needed to, but the dominance of my Knights was just too tempting to let go to waste. Anyway, on to the next difficulty level...

No comments:

Post a Comment