Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cataclysm Shatters Sales Record

So, according to a Blizzard press release, World of Warcraft's third expansion, Cataclysm, sold 3.3 million copies in its first 24 hours of release, making it the fastest-selling PC game of all time.

I'll count myself in that number and since I resubscribed I've been playing it a lot. Jahger, my Worgen Hunter has already reached the lofty heights of level 50. Leveling in this post-Cataclysm world is a real pleasure, streamlined and story-focused. If you have any interest in MMOs (or are a lapsed WoW player), you owe it to yourself to give this new world a try. You don't even need to buy any of the expansions to experience the changes.

Story-focused post-Cataclysm questing

Besides questing and doing group dungeons, I've picked up a fascination for animal collecting. You see, with the overhaul of the Hunter class for the new expansion, the class-defining Hunter's pets were all put on a level playing field (though you customize them with talent choices) except for a unique buff or debuff based on the pet's family - cats give an agility buff, hyenas increase bleed damage taken by the enemy, etc. By the time he reaches the new level cap of 85, a good Hunter should have a wide selection of pets to cover whatever buffs/debuffs are missing from the group. I've picked out the pets in each family that I want based on their looks, and seek them out to tame them as soon as I reach their level. My preferred pet while I'm leveling is Whitefang, a White Worg, which gives a bonus to one's chance to score critical hits.

Jahger and his faithful worg, Whitefang

The leveling curve does get steeper, but I hope to get on to the new Cataclysm (80+) zones in another week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment