Sunday, December 11, 2011

Far Future or Fantasy Universe - There is Always War

The latest patch for World of Warcraft, The Hour of Twilight (4.3) has been released. Besides three new 5-man dungeons, it also features a raid against the main foe of the Cataclysm expansion, Deathwing. And now with the new Raid Finder tool, I actually might have a chance to experience an expansion's climax for the first time. Just need to put in some time to re-acquaint myself with how to heal on my druid first. But between work, a dodgy internet connection and other distractions (see games below), I haven't played it as much as I'd have liked to.


Blood Ravens engage a small force of Orks

In the meanwhile, I've been playing Warhammer 40 000: Dawn of War 2, sequel to one of my preferred real-time strategy games. The main campaign, featuring the Blood Ravens chapter of Space Marines, plays quite differently to most RTSes. It's actually more of an RTS-RPG hybrid as you level up your commanders and equip them with loot, tailoring them to your preferred tactics. With no base building and this focus on small scale skirmishing, I could understand more devoted RTS fans being upset by this direction, but for me the blend works really well. With the end of the main campaign in sight, expect a review soon.


Blood Ravens Force Commander

And to indulge my nostalgia, I reinstalled Railroad Tycoon 3, the 2003 release of the Railroad Tycoon franchise. Its 3D engine is broken under newer operating systems and I had to hunt down a fan-made patch to get it working on my Windows 7 machine (available from the Hawk & Badger Railroad fansite). I've always enjoyed the train, business and stock management of the Railroad Tycoon games, and I was quickly back into the groove of the game, picking up scenario gold medals with ease. However, the game hasn't aged well, and the 3D terrain is more frustrating than beautiful. Still looking forward to a worthy successor; and no, Sid Meier's Railroads! isn't it.


Railroad Tycoon 3

No comments:

Post a Comment