Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Civ 5: Great Thebes (Part 2)

I've just eliminated Darius of Persia and was attacking Hiawatha of the Iroquois, when Elizabeth of England betrayed me and attacked my undefended Persian conquests. Within two turns, Elizabeth captures Osininka.


I split my army to try counter both my enemies. A holding force is left by Memphis to pick off what Iroquois forces I can and I direct the rest to the east to try reclaim Osininka. After killing a few of his units, I sign a peace treaty with Hiawatha, even getting some gold and a luxury out of him, but more importantly allowing me to focus my efforts on Elizabeth. The remnants of my southern army capture Akwesasme, a former Iroquois city held by Elizabeth, and then they reunite with the eastern army.

With Elizabeth marching on Pasargadae, I focus on recapturing Osininka. The speed and power of my Knights allows me to pick off a lot of her units and capture Osininka. With her army in disarray, I focus on picking off what few units she has left as I march on to the English-held city of Susa.

Meanwhile my Caravel has met up with Augustus Caesar of Rome and Catherine of Russia. Both want me to join against each other - I side with Caesar and agree to go to war with Catherine in 10 turns time. I'm across the sea from both of them and so don't expect to ever be under attack from Catherine as I haven't seen her with Caravels yet. I've been progressing quite nicely along the tech tree, and I reach Gunpowder. However, I'm quite happy with my mobile Knight army and while I still have so many horse resources left, I'll continue to build them rather than Musketmen. Money's been rolling in and I have enough to buy another alliance, this time with Lhasa on the north-east of the content. Thebes builds the Forbidden Palace, helping me out with happiness in my continuously growing empire.

The Knights of my eastern army capture Susa, but her Longbowmen kill one of the Knights protecting Susa before it's razed. I clear out these remaining enemy forces and then capture her northern cities of Canterbury and Conventry with no resistance. With my army heading south for Elizabeth's core cities, my time expires and, along with Caesar, I declare war on Catherine. The last few English cities fall quickly with only a few token Spearmen remaining to defend them - York falls, followed by London, then Hastings, and finally, in 1555 AD, Elizabeth's final city of Nottingham.


My Caravel meets up with Montezuma of the Aztecs and Oda Nobunga of the Japanese on yet another continent, this one to the south-west. I've met all the civs now. I also meet the city state of Belgrade which is under attack by Montezuma, and the city states of Copenhagen and Hanoi also on that continent. I implement the final social policy of the Patronage tree meaning I'm getting substantial bonuses from all my city state allies.

My army has been redeploying to Memphis, ready to resume the war with Hiawatha. In 1580 AD, I declare war against Hiawatha and advance into Iroquois lands. The Iroquois archers fall quickly and Hiawatha's counter-attacking units are so outdated that they have little effect against my Knights. His northern-most cities of Grand River and Onondago, his capital, are quickly captured. The Knights continue south, razing Brantford, Montreal, Akwesasme (named for the city razed in my previous war against Elizabeth) and then the new capital, Buffalo Creek, is captured. This is the final Iroquois city and Hiawatha is defeated in 1615 AD.


The whole continent is mine - even all the city states, except for Geneva, are my allies. Montezuma comes asking for me to join a war against Japan. Looks like my Knight army has some more conquests to make - I ask for 10 turns so I can transport them across to the Aztec and Japanese continent.

Continued in Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment